Pythonista for Python 3.x.
Are there any plans to release a Python 3.x variant of Pythonista?
That's not quite true. Python 2.7 will be supported until 2020. See PEP 373
Nevertheless I would also like to see Python 3 support in Pythonista. Python 2 is in maintenance mode, Python 3 is where the cool new things are being developed.
I wouldn't mind paying anew for Pythonista 3. If it were possible to have both interpreters in one version, this would be even better, of course. To decide which interpreter to use, it could use the shebang line, if present, else a user preference.
Yes. That history is in my posts above but...
We are at Python 2.7.8 now and Python PEP 404 makes clear that there will never be a Python v2.8.
So, how many more release numbers can you fit into the formula:
2.7.8 < version_number < 2.8.0?
Python3 is the way to go.
As many as you like.
2.7.10, 2.7.11, etc.
You are correct... http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373 now forecasts the following Python 2 releases:
Planned future release dates: 2.7.9 December 2014 2.7.10 June 2015 beyond this date, releases as needed
Has this discussion run out of steam. I am a hobbiest and a code for fun user of the iPad, a fairly recent acquisition. Apple seem to be determined to drive coders towards their Mac. products. The iPad certainly needs a functional coder app, As far as my searches go it would seem that Pythonista is top of the list. However it would seem that anyone starting now could well get nicely settled down, happily coding away when ' bang' , they find they are saddled with an outdated system.
We now have I0S-8.1 that won't accept SWIFT and Pythonista that doesn't like the look of Python 3.4. I was hoping to move up from playing around with BBC Basic for Windows. Perhaps I should buy a Raspberry PI to satisfy my fun to learn coding needs.
Steep - 86+ looking for enlightenment. 😉
Python 2 is highly functional. RPi is awesome but can you really take it with you in the same way that you do with your iPad?
Hi ccc. - My desktop PC and my laptop are in my home office. I practice my computer hobby from an armchair.😊
I've got 'Python 3.4 for IOS' on my iPad but can't get IDLE. If push comes before pull, then suppose I will have to settle for 2.7 on Pythonista.
When I became a silver surfer and the proud owner of an iPad I thought that was it, but things do move on rather quickly in this day and age.
Just so we are clear,
Python 3.4 for iOSis utterly useless.
It is based on Python 3.4.0__a0__ (which never existed) instead of the current Python 3.4.2. It does not support any of the new features of Python 3.4 (asyncio, etc.). Has not been updated in the past 20 months (as you say, things do move quickly these daze). Its author has not logged in its user forum in the past 20 months. It has no support for sound, graphics, UI, numpy, etc. And finally, it crashes left and right. In summary, it is not highly functional.
0k ccc - Pythonista it is. I'll be back 😊
@Steep I use RPi via prompt ssh client on ipad. I use a combination of pythonista and vim over ssh for my coding needs. It works really well. I use pythonista ui module for my ipad interfaces and tkinter for pc interfaces. To transfer projects back and forth I use shellistas, ssh/scp plugin. You can also run SimpleHTTPServer in pythonista and use wget on the rpi to grab files.
I'm going to add my request / vote / plea for a version of Pythonista that embeds Python 3. I've been developing some scripts, on my Macbook, with Python 3 and I quite like the language improvements over Python 2. I'd love to be able to use those same language features on my iPad as well. My credit card is out and I'm ready to buy "Pythonista 3" whenever it hits the app store.
IMO, I'd prefer Pythonista to stick with 2.7.x as long as that remains the default install on OS X. That way, scripts I write on my Mac or on my iPad are portable between the two systems with as little hassle as possible.
roosterboy: Agreed—I'm holding onto Python 2 as long as I can. Even if Python 3 is better, there are still things that don't support it, and I'd rather be consistent.
I mostly agree with @roosterboy - the preferred version for Pythonista should be what's included in the latest version of OS X. On the other hand, Python 3 is going to become more popular as time goes on, and eventually when we switch, a lot of things are going to break.
@omz, you mentioned you can't include two versions - is this an Apple limitation?
Here's what I'd like to see in the ideal case. First of all, Python 3 support should be a major paid release. That's a lot of work and you deserve the support. ;) I'd also be perfectly happy waiting for P3 support until Apple makes it the default. When you do, assuming it's possible to have both versions, include P3 and make it the default interpreter, but allow files to have a special comment that, included as the first line of the script, will make it use Python 2.x. You could even add that line to each file as part of the upgrade process, then warn users that new Python 3.x scripts won't be compatible with the old ones.
Most importantly, don't worry about moving along too quickly. I'd rather have an older, stable Pythonista than an unstable version with the newest language features. ;)
I too would be willing to pay for a version of python 3. I think there should be both 2.X and 3.X both sperate applications. That would allow those who have appliations in 2.X to continue to run their applications and allow those who want to write new applications in 3.x to do so. Going from 2.x to 3.x is a major upgrade and it's only fair that you should be conpensated for all your hard work.
The first alpha release of Python 3.5 was also released earlier this month. If releases continue to follow to the Python 3.5 release schedule (PEP 0478) then Python 3.5 will be released in September 2015.
Still no word on Pythonista moving to Python 3.
I have never used Python 3, so this isn't really a big concern of mine right now. Just thought I'd point out that apple made the concern about multiple apps less of a thing with the introduction of app bundles. You could give users free or discounted access to the second version once the first one is purchased.
How exactly do bundles work if you already own one or more of the apps in it? I know that bundles can have a lower price than the individual apps, and that there is a "complete the bundle" option to purchase all missing apps, but do the two work together? I wouldn't be surprised if Apple would make you pay the full price with the bundle completion option.
@dgelessus If you already have one or more apps in a bundle, the price you paid for them is subtracted from the bundle price. It is really the price you paid, not the current price in the App Store, so it makes a difference if you bought the other app(s) at a discount for example