Pythonista 1.6 Beta
So, with Apple's new TestFlight, I can finally have a lot more beta testers, and won't have to worry about device limits so much.
If you'd like to play with the next version of Pythonista before it hits the App Store, please send me an email with your Apple ID, and I'll see what I can do. I don't plan to use up all the slots yet (I might need some later), but if you've been posting here, there's a very good chance that I can give you access to the beta.
As for what to expect, here's a list of the new features in the current beta:
- Improved support for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus screen sizes
- Removing files from the library moves them to a trash folder instead of deleting them immediately.
- URLs in console output are 'linkified' automatically
remindersmodule for accessing the iOS Reminders database (read/write)
cbmodule for connecting to Bluetooth LE peripherals (experimental)
- New dialogs module as an easy-to-use alternative to the ui module when you just need simple data entry. This also contains functions to import files from the iCloud Drive document picker (iOS 8 only). – note: this is broken in the current beta, but will be fixed in the next few days
Hi @Omz. Just sent you an email. The reminders module definitely looks interesting!
@JonB, to my knowledge, it simply installs a provisioning profile separate from the official Pythonista install.
I've just sent out invites to everyone who's asked so far, and I have plenty of slots left.
@JonB When you install the beta, it overwrites the App Store version, but it should keep your data, just like a regular update.
just reading the release notes is awesome. I immediately tried some of the stuff and just have to say WOW. Just one question about the beta testing: Open comments about the the beta here or where to sent my remarks?
As long as you make it clear that a thread is beta-related, it's totally fine with me to discuss it here.
I've just submitted a new build with a few fixes – most importantly, the
dialogsmodule should actually work now. It'll be available in a few hours (it takes a while for iTunes Connect to process new uploads).
There's also a new
urllib), if you want more control.
Bug: passing variables into
console.login_alertdoesn't work and causes the command to hang (was working in stable).
@hyshai Thanks, I'll look into that. So far, I can't reproduce the hanging, but it definitely doesn't work correctly (it always behaves as if it was cancelled).
Just started playing with it, truly great. Also noticed that sheet view doesn't have a fixed width and height now, and it responds to the views set size. Wasn't in the release notes so I'm not sure if this was meant to be there.
@omz I narrowed it down. It has nothing to do with a variable. Multiple prompts are the issue e.g.
import console, keychain keychain.get_password('test', 'test') #requires keychain.master_password which has a prompt console.login_alert('hello') # this will never be called and the script hangs
import console console.login_alert('hello') console.login_alert('goodbye') # this will never be called but the script exits silently
Is this possibly related to the bug of not showing the keyboard automatically when there's an input prompt (specifically the
This sounds interesting, looking forward to the update. Sent you an e-mail.
Does TestFlight require iOS 8? I have an oldish iPhone that can only run iOS 7 that I might be able to test with as well.
I think TestFlight requires iOS 8.
@omz TestFlight does require iOS 8. How do you get the text entered into a text dialog?
How do you get the text entered into a text dialog?
It's the return value of the
Just mailed you my apple id. Would love to test out BTLE.
I assume the appex module you teased on Twitter is not integrated/activated in this Beta? Anyway, it's pretty cool you're doing this and I am happy to test the Twitter integration :)
Feedback on the in-app "What's new in Pythonista?" docs... Change
dialogsand activate the hyperlink.
@ccc, I believe omz uses the same doc generator that is used for the standard library, in which case it will automatically link once the module name is recognized.
@omz searching in the docs is very wonky. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - just says "Searching......". (using an iPhone 5)
Just looking at the docs has me wowed! One tip would be to include an example script for BLE, as the protocol my be a little foreign to some.
A few things I've noticed so far:
- The Pythonista.app bundle is now fully moved out of the "Data" folder and no longer easily accessible (sad face)
- The Trash is invisible when empty (not really a bug, but somewhat counter-intuitive)
- The Trash didn't appear for me the first time I deleted a file until I opened the settings (thus reloading the file list I suppose)
- No way to selectively delete files from the Trash or restore multiple files at once
- The Move menu still takes ages to open
- Not specifically a beta bug, but in thumbnail view the default syntax highlight style is always used, no matter which one is selected in the settings