Pythonista 2 Release
Good news: Pythonista 2 has been approved by Apple, and will be out on Monday (tomorrow).
I would recommend that all beta users do a backup before updating because I'm not completely sure if a clean update will be possible from the beta. Actually, you might also want to do this if you are not using the beta, just to be sure. There's always a possibility that something goes wrong with a major update like this.
2.0 will be a free update for existing users, but I intend to increase the price for new purchases to $9.99 (version 1.5 is currently $6.99).
Ok, great. I look forward to using that module as I haven't yet, I've got a Polar M400 gps watch that uses Bluetooth LE, and it'll be interesting to play with it.
@omz , congratulations. A big milestone. I know you are a modest guy, but I hope you can appreciate other people's admiration for Pythonista. You should be very proud of yourself. I am one of your groupies 😀👍
Excellent news! Looking forward to it.
Awesome, can't wait!
Thanks @omz can not wait @ole
Wow I can't wait. I just bought Pythonista recently and I've been loving it.
Docs at omz's website were update to 2.0, but I don't see 2.0 in AppStore yet
It'll be here before the end of the day, hopefully.
In the AppStore :-)
http://omz-software.com/pythonista/docs/ios/PIL.html talks about PIL but it would be good to make it clear that this is the Pillow implementation (a "friendly fork") of PIL.
Yep! (Or at least it's in the US Apps Store)
Thanks omz for all your hard work and effort behind this new version! I'm also impressed that you decided to offer it as a free/upgrade as there are a significant changes to the app. [more comments about this in another post]
I realize over the years Apple has gradually relaxed a number restrictions on what is accepted to be published on the App Store, but to some degree I'm still amazed at what Pythonista is able to achieve on a non-JB device. Greatly looking forward to exploring the new features (e.g., ctypes!)
Another quick note: I'm also just paranoid enough that immediately after updating the app, I'm going to sync to iTunes so I can keep a safe copy of the v2.0 Pythonista.ipa file. (Just in case Apple changes their mind on this release, for whatever reason. Sadly, there is some historical precedent in their allowing certain apps into the AppStore then later deciding they violate policy and pulling them).
Thanks for all of the hard work! I upgraded from the beta to version 2 with no problems, all my files are still intact.
First of all thanks @omz for 2.0 I have had the beta for a while now and it is great to see it made it to the App Store.
Just wanted to confirm that I have upgraded from both 1.6 beta and 1.5 and all my files appeared to be ok.
I have found a bug with 2.0 that wasn't in the beta, the Music Stats example no longer works as it appears you have removed the MediaPlayer.framework in 2.0 I assume this happened when background audio was removed.
Anyway it can be fixed by manually loading the framework just wanted to let you know as new users will probably run in to it.
I just upgraded and it looks all super! Thanks.
I have one problem with a script I'm working on. When I run it Pythonista crashes. I have dowdrilled the problem to the Scheme function load_image_file. When I remove that part of the code, everything seems to work. But when trying to load a .png file with load_image_file, Pythonista crashes.
Any idea? Work around?
Version dates differ:
import sys print(sys.version)
yields 2.7.5 in each version of 1.5, 1.6 (beta), and 2.0, but with different dates (resp. 13 Jun 2014, 29 Nov 2015, and 19 Dec 2015)
I have also updated from the beta.
Just updated from the 1.6 beta to 2.0, and it went flawlessly for my standards. With the exception that the update didn't show up in the app store updates list on my iPad (I had to download it on my Mac and sync it over) and that my Springboard crashed during the update (it does that sometimes for me, especially when updating more than one app at a time). So far it looks like everything is intact.
(My device is an iPad mini 1st gen running iOS 8.4.1 32-bit.)
I updated from the 1.5 app store release...everything seemed to go fine. The only thing I noticed was that the keychain seemed to reset, and I had to re-enter the stuff I had stored there.
Loving this new release - thanks!
https://github.com/cclauss/pythonista-module-versions is now updated for:
Pythonista version 2.0 (200003) on iOS 9.2 on an iPad5,4.
A huge congratulations to @omz for this wonderful release.
If you like it, don't forget to give it a positive review in the App Store.
If you are currently in the beta running under TestFlight you may not see the 2.0 release in the AppStore updates tab. You can get it to show up as an update if you just navigate over to your purchased Apps, find Pythonista 1.5.x, and then hit the download button (cloud icon). Although this causes 1.5 to get downloaded your existing data gets preserved. You will then see the update to 2.0 in the usual updates section and can download and install the new release. So it is like doing a downgrade/upgrade process which is a bit scary but seems to be fine. Worked for me :-)
As @omz says - it is wise to do a backup just in case.