Calling all gurus
Hi Pythonista gurus:
I want to propose a new github project dedicated to Pythonista- managed by its users.
Effectively, I want to build in new projects, as well as links to established repos.
Think of it as "Awesome Pythonista" meets a BeeWare type suite.
As we all know @omz is MIA for the moment.
We need to bring Pythonista development to the forefront of emerging technologies for mobile development.
I am even contemplating building an Android app which is compatible with Pythonista (where possible)
We need to build out real world examples, high quality tutorials and even (if anyone wants to help) write/publish a book.
The gurus here are constantly pushing the boundaries of Pythonista showcasing that the platform has potential.
Other discussion items include:
- Ability to build an xcode project using cookiecutter to setup as buildable project using the SDK
- Compatibility classes for native OS's
- Android (if possible)
- Pythonista build server (paid) - I will set that up, think Travis CI / AppVeyor
- Clear module development path - building for the community as well as ourselves.
This is a thankless job, however even open source organizations can make money.
I will pony up for the articles of incorporation for the OSS company, and share full financials with all contributing volunteers - I am not looking to get rich from this.
However- we can build ourselves as a industry experts on Python for Mobile Development.
Rather than rambling on - may I ask if anyone is interested?
This will help @ole focus on Pythonista more, especially if it means him earning more.
Oh - I wanted to add one more point:
For those that help - I will provide a continuous build account at no charge :)
I will be setting up a Mac server online - primarily to fill in the lack of SAAS Continuous Integration servers for iOS/Mac Technologies.
Obviously in exchange I am getting to use your excellent work for my hobby projects.
wnMark last edited by
enceladus last edited by enceladus
I was a happy user of computable ( and of course pythonista). Currently it is out of App Store but the author has open sourced it. It supports sci-fi, pandas, Jupyter(ipython) etc.
May be the community could start from there.
But first I think we should connect with omz to get some api or even open some code for us, or we had to handle the black box.
I don't want to compete with omz nor do I want him to open source anything .
Using the objc_util library we can most definitely implement more intervals for the community.
If you want pandas/scipy, I would suggest searching how to port python libs to iOS, get a full dynamic library going, and offer it up to @omz
My intention is to HELP the existing project.
I should note however- as powerful as iOS devices are, they aren't built for scientific computing really.
@reticulated Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your words since my English is not good enough. I have some projects running on pythonista. But I wrote them not just for ios but they can also run on other platforms. You mean we should make projects just for pythonista on ios to show the potential for pythonista, or we just need it to run on the pythonista?
comfortablynick last edited by
Sounds like a cool idea; I would love to participate in any way I can.
Matteo last edited by
Hi @reticulated, I'm quite sure omz is still working on Pythonista because I think it's tremendous (and not very smart) that such an application is abandoned. We should know that he knows this fact (I know he knows this fact).
I'm happy when people help people with ideas, codes, examples, informations.
You are talking about things too advanced for me, but I'm sure you are talking in order to give Pythonista more power.
The nice and curious thing is to understand how to give more power to Pythonista without pretending that is omz to give it (that is without need to compile entire Pythonista for new releases).
The best thing in my opinion is to give omz maximum freedom to decide when to give us new releases of his great app, and in the meantime people could continue to give more power to Pythonista, maybe with plug-ins development.
- to extend functions of code editor with find/replace, reformat, code folding... with one click
- to extend functions of file browser with find/replace for files and folders and content (with regex), zip compression, full properties on files and folders (size, last edited data, if file is editable or not, so I'd like to block some files or folder by editing them, ... )
- to extend functions to link Pythonista to any computer for comfortable development of Pythonista/Python scripts using big pc keyboard (my iphone is little and to use WebIDE) we need a wifi shared, not always available, but maybe with bluetooth could be possible using only pure python libraries or scripts,
- to extend a possible free remote connection service/interface if you want to make calculations that require not-pure python libraries not present in Pythonista (scipy, pandas, etc..) and with a full and complete integration with the app environment (example: my script, to run, needs some scipy functions, ok, I write it in Pythonista and I execute the entire script with Pythonista interpreter, and only the code that requires scipy is executed by the server with full working input-output capabilities),
- to extend internal site-packages folder in order to be able to delete not used pure-python libraries, since we can reinstall them with pip (using StaSH for example).